Galway Chamber is currently recruiting for the position of CEO. This is an excellent opportunity for a dynamic individual who can lead the organisation and deliver on the Chamber’s vision, mission and values.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) manages the affairs and activities of the Galway Chamber of Commerce. The CEO’s aim is to ensure that the Chamber maintains its position as the leading organisation representing business and creates a thriving, diverse business community throughout Galway.
- Provide input into the Strategy Plan, in conjunction with both Board’s, and develop and deliver robust business plans.
- Provide input and deliver on the Board’s vision, mission, values and goals.
- Ensure the Board of Directors are kept fully informed via attendance at regular board meetings and/or, through the Chair, of progress towards strategic objectives.
- Preparing and presenting monthly board papers and reports.
- Ensure regular informal contact is maintained with the Board, and in particular, the Chair of the Board.
- Lead the strategic direction, business planning/reporting, leadership and financial management. Ensure the operations run efficiently and effectively and that processes are continually reviewed and improved.
- Annual budgets are set and met.
- Manage the financials with a robust and commercial approach bringing any material issues directly to the attention of the Board.
- Build and maintain a high performing, empowered team through effective management and support of staff, including motivating, guiding, influencing, training and communications.
- Take a lead advocacy role, providing a positive voice for businesses in Galway.
- Work with key strategic partners and stakeholders to ensure Galway and the region is seen as a great place to work.
- Provide a voice for members of both Chambers on key topics that require a collaborative response.
- Implement growth-based programs to increase the membership base and the added value services offered to members.
- Actively seek feedback from members and potential members on ideas for improvement.
- Actively promote chamber services throughout the Region and take all opportunities to provide insight to the value the chambers can bring to a business.
- Provide support and tools to assist businesses in innovation.
- Provide training/education that equips business owners with the skills and knowledge that they need to thrive today and into the future.
- Ensure that the Chambers are a trusted source for accurate business information and advice.
- Deliver information and training that compliments local providers.
- Gain the support and backing of sponsors within Galway and the Region to allow the Chamber to provide a wide range of services/events to businesses.
- Ensure sponsors are recognised and valued and provided with an opportunity to input into the future direction of the Chamber.
- Retain and grow other forms of funding through all available avenues including third-party initiatives.
- Identify and provide opportunities for the membership to network, promote their business, strengthen and create new business connections. This includes physical networking, online tools and showcasing events, such as the Annual Business Awards.
- Provide opportunities for members to make local, national and international connections.
- Provide opportunities to support and celebrate business success (e.g. Business Awards).
- Actively and positively contribute to Chambers Ireland.
- Promote trade certificates.
- Increase 3rd party income via initiatives with councils and key stakeholders
- Build and maintain strong relationships with the Chamber members and ensure they are fully informed of progress towards strategic goals.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with all local and industry stakeholders, politicians and leaders.
- Ensure the Galway Chamber is represented appropriately in all significant regional business events, forums and publications.
- Represent Galway Chamber in the media on all issues and ensure a positive profile is maintained for businesses within Galway.
- Support new and existing business to innovate
- Senior management experience in business or a commercial environment.
- Marketing expertise which demonstrates experience with a wide range of stakeholders with varying expectations.
- Media management, public speaking, and similar large audience presentations.
- Situations which demonstrate the application of skills and abilities with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Financial management and oversight at a senior level.
- Has a driven, focused approach to achieving what has been agreed.
- Has a strong commercial acumen that demonstrates an ability to engage with businesses and gain credibility with all stakeholders.
- Demonstrates an ability and the communication skills to relate, engage and gain the buy-in and support of all stakeholders.
- Has a leadership presence that builds credibility and trust.
- Innovative at problem-solving.
Applicants are invited to submit an up to date CV & cover letter by email to